Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Ice cream and books

Fortunately, I work for a company that gives us volunteer hours that they (strongly) encourage us to use every year. SO - today, I used a few of them to do a couple of things at my daughter's school.

Via work, we work with the local Farm Bureau with a program called Ag in the Classroom. Today, another gal in our office, her husband - who is a farmer - and I taught the 2nd graders about dairy farms. After our fact filled speel and hearing about lots of family members who lived on or near a farm, we got to 'the project'. The project - - - make ice cream. Yep - I too learned something today, how to make ice cream in a baggie. It was pretty good too. The funniest thing was, a little boy who raised his hand and said "Hey, do you remember when that other farmer came to talk to us?" And his teacher said she didn't. He looked right at my co-worker's husband and said "He had a farmer haircut, just like yours." She & I were DYING! He stammered around and finally said thank you. So of course, we now have something to tease him about. 'So tell me, where can I get a farmer haircut like yours?'

My second volunteer project was reading to my daughter's class today. Her teacher had asked that maybe I could read some upcoming holiday appropriate books. Sure! So I read a book about President's Day. Oh my - the discussions a kindergarten class can have! After I finished reading the 1st book, I asked if they knew who our President was. One little boy chimed in "Rock Obama, she's a great president" (that's not a typo). I was just going gently correct him that Barrack Obama is a boy, when a little girl said "BARRACK Obama is a boy. His WIFE is a girl. Get it right." I think I almost choked to death on that laugh. By the way, I'm going back for reading again on Thursday - it's the 100th day of school.

I got a few volunteer hours in and had a good time doing it today.

PS: For those of you wondering about the mouse trap car - he got an A!!!!! I'll post pictures and a video this week.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:14 AM

    Our Foods Class made Ice Cream in a bag last year and it was pretty good! What did we ever do before ziploc bags?

    Love the discussion after you read to the class. Hilarious!

    Volunteering is good for everyone.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- that's awesome that your work lets you do that. I can't wait to volunteer at the school--that always sounded like so much fun to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!
I love to hear from you.