Friday, January 12, 2018

Muir Woods & Beach

I am going to try something "new" for a weekly post. I will be linking up with The Weekly Postcard, hosted by:

(Please go check out their blogs and the other blogs that are linked up!)



I am also linking up with Veravise
*****************************************

Today, I am going to cover a couple of sites we visited on our trip to San Francisco this past November.


We had visited Muir Woods on our previous trip to the San Fran area. It was a VERY brief stop last time. This time, we had an afternoon to gawk, relax and walk through these spectacular trees.

It is about 12 miles north of San Francisco, off the 101. Yes, if you are driving from San Francisco, you will drive over the Golden Gate Bridge to get there. (Insert oooo and ahhhh here)



The road into the park. It is FULL of turns and twists. 

Our first look at the redwoods.

Welcome!
The entrance fee is $10/person. In our opinion, entrance fees are worth the dollars to take in wherever you are and to support the National Park Service.



Some of the beautiful nature:



Right after I took this photo (while we were waiting for the Ranger Talk [by the way, stop and listen to these if you have a chance, they are very interesting]), we heard a HUGE crash! A tree had fallen somewhere about 1/2 mile away but it had sounded so close. It was pretty cool to be able to have heard that. 








We spent a couple of hours hanging out among the trees.

We decided since it was still light out, we would drive down to the beach (which is part of the National Park Service also). It was a short walk from the parking lot to the beach. It was SO beautiful! The beach is set up for bonfires in a few different spots.






Thank you for a fabulous afternoon, Muir Woods and Beach!

***Please note: starting with visits on January 16, 2018, you must make a parking reservation to visit Muir Woods. You will not be able to park out there without one. There is also a shuttle that can be taken to the park, but again - make your reservation ahead of time!

14 comments:

  1. How wonderful! The California coast and woodlands are certainly something to experience! Wouldn’t it be awesome to live in one of those houses in the background of the beach picture? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't you just love it?? We were in SanFran and all of CA last May. Unfortunately, our journey took us south and then East over to SQNP/KCNP and Yosemite and we couldn't squeeze in John Muir. Maybe next time. But that trip had us HOOKED on national parks and we are now on mission to see the all before my oldest son reaches his 18th birthday which will be in 2025! I write about outdoor travel and national parks and would love if you would also hop over and link this article to my BRAND NEW blog hop specifically for outdoor travel blogs and families. It's called the Outdoor Outpost. Either way, great article and I will enjoy sharing it as it fits my niche perfectly!! I'm at veravise.com if you decide to check us out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted to your link up also. Thank you for inviting me

      Delete
    2. Thanks for joining in!! Going to share again on Google Plus!!!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:35 PM

    Do you know if this area was damaged by any of the big fires they have endured these past few months in California? Just curious. Such a beautiful region and definitely worth the small entry fee. Thanks for sharing. #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muir Wood is one of my favorite spots on the coast of California. I visited this park many times and every time I go, I can't help thinking how fascinating it is. The proximity to San Francisco makes it a lovely day trip. Thanks for joining us for #TheWeeklyPostcard. Hope to see you here next week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely stunning. I must've been so close a few years ago, but never quite made it to this park. Shame! It's what I love best about California, aahhh the nature.
    #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love that mixture in northern Cali / Oregon of the forest meeting the ocean! Looks like a beautiful park I would definitely enjoy! Happy New Year! Thanks for linking up with #TheWeeklyPostcard!
    (www.caliglobetrotter.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Muir Woods looks beautiful and so nice that it is so close to San Francisco. I will keep it in mind for my next trip and will plan ahead! That crash when the tree fell must have been scary. Thanks for sharing on #TheWeeklyPostcard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard (and seen pictures) of such wonderful hikes in California! I'd certainly love to explore more of the state and hike places like Muir Woods!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been to Muir Woods and I can't believe it. I have heard it is gorgeous int here. I have only been to the San Francisco area so, I know I need to go back and explore more. Thanks for the ideas. #TheWeeklyPostcard

    ReplyDelete
  10. The coast of Cali and Oregon is on my list. I will add Muir Woods to my 'must see' list. Those trees and the beach scene - wonderful photography subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the gorgeous images from the National Parks! We've put most of them on our bucket list, and since we've moved out west we now live close enough to hit most of them pretty easily. Sounds like an amazing day, spending time in both forest and the beach!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!
I love to hear from you.