Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Grandpa

My grandpa passed away a few weeks ago. He went peacefully while he and grandma were wintering in Corpus Christi, TX. He was 90 and had been married to grandma for 67 years.
 
Their wedding day - September, 1947
 
 On their 60th anniversary - September, 2007
 
He was one of 7 children. He and grandma had 9 children of their own. (Who in turn have led to 32 grandchildren and 22 great-grandchildren [to date])
My grandpa was not a real cuddly kind of guy. He didn't get too excited over a baby. He was happy to give you "five" or sit and talk for a while. He loved to tell stories and had a memory that amazes me.
He battled cancer and won. He suffered with emphysema and heart ailments for several years. He made it through so many things that he shouldn't have.
I grew up on a farm almost a mile straight north of where they lived. We saw him - and grandma - almost daily. He didn't ask for my help very often, but I knew if he did - I better hustle and help. He was always quick to say 'thank you' for your help!
He instilled hard work and a good work ethic in his children. And because of that, in turn, that was instilled in me by my dad - and mom too! My grandpa farmed his whole life - even after he retired in 2011, he supervised and helped with what he could.
No farm auction was "too far" to go to. You never knew when something good might be there - even if it was a piece of gossip.
 
I feel very blessed that I knew him for my 40 years and my Mr. knew him for almost 20.
I feel blessed that both of my children got to have them in their lives, for 21 and 10 years.
 
The next two photos were taken in June, 2011 at Young Mr.'s high school graduation party.

 
His visitation was a true tribute to him. There were LOTS of people there (many waited almost 2 hours to pay their respects) - many of whom knew him personally. Some who came because they knew one of his children.
 
This was set up near his casket - his work jacket, hat and boots on a chair from their house. That was the point where I fell apart. It was a perfect tribute!
Photo credit to my brother, Phil
 
This is his vault cover that Grandma picked out. It is beautiful and again - so perfect!
 
My grandma with 8 of her children.
 
I didn't realize that my Mr. had taken this picture of grandma & I talking. If memory serves, we were discussing shopping and how neither of us really likes it.
 Grandma with our kids

Rest in peace, Grandpa! You will be missed.

12 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful tribute to your Grandpa! I love the photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tribute of your grandfather. Precious photos to document and tell his story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He sounds like a fascinating guy. My condolences for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry, what a wonderful man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:11 PM

    Jen,
    I'm so touched by yet another grandchild and their memories of Grandpa. You and your siblings and your cousins have shared some incredible memories and insights. Thank you. Love you.
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry for your loss, sweetie! he would have loved that tribute! it's so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss, Jen. I lost my grandma in December and it's so hard. Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss, Jen. This is such a beautiful tribute to him, though. It sounds like he truly lived life well. I'm so glad so many of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren where able to know him. Thinking of you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a beautiful post about your grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He's looking down at you with a smile in his heart! What a lovely tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry for your loss. I'm glad you had so many happy memories. And 67 years of marriage? Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful legacy he leaves behind. You are very blessed to have such a special man in your life for so many years.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!
I love to hear from you.