Thursday, January 08, 2015

A heavy heart

My grandpa passed away last evening.

He was 90. He and my grandma were married, I believe, 67 years. They have 9 children -and their spouses, 32 grandchildren - many with spouses and 18 great-grandchildren. He survived things that surprised us all. He farmed until he was 80, and even then would help in the fields or at least go out to supervise. He got together with the other farmers at the elevator for many years - and I know farmers....they were trading gossip and talking about who paid how much for what.

I know at his age, it should be expected, but it still hurts. I worry about my grandma, as she is in delicate health.

I am sad he's gone, but am thankful that I had 40 years to spend with him, and I am happy to know I have one more angel watching over me.


11 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs and prayers for your loss. You will remember him each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sorry for your loss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so very sorry sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am so, so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I'm so sorry for your loss. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. my heart goes to out to you. how wonderful he lived until 90!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so sorry :( it's so hard to lose a family member.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your loss. What a blessing that he was on this earth for 90 years, but it is always sad to lose someone we love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting to be able to spend 40 years with a grandparent! I bet you have some fantastic memories with him. With that, it's always hard losing a grandparent. You never really get over the loss. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:01 PM

    I loved the poem you posted about Grandpa. Your Dad and I often marvel at the fact that all of you still have all 4 grandparents and your children have their great=grandparents. Amazing. We feel blessed also and know that he left this world and will be watching over all of his huge family.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!
I love to hear from you.