Friday, February 20, 2009

The Tourists - Part 1

First of all, I would like to make a disclaimer/correction regarding my previous post.... I am NOT encouraging you to play "tourist" during weather which may cause you to lose a limb/appendage to frostbite or to have a heat stroke. Pick a nice day! :)

*********************
DD turned 5 yesterday - I can't believe it's been 5 years! Quiet birthday but her "bash" is Sunday....wish us luck!
*********************
Last Sunday (and yes, it was a little chilly!), we visited Lincoln's home in Springfield Illinois. (This is us in his "backyard" - by the way, if you visit, check out the outhouse - the Lincolns had the "deluxe" model) The home has recently been refurbished and cleaned up. It was a very nice tour and we enjoyed seeing his "neighborhood" too. We learned after we were there that many sites are closed on Sunday - thank you FORMER Gov.... Many of the employees at the sites that were open, openly expressed their opinions on that situation. They seem rather upset that things aren't open on Sundays and the tourism is down considerably because of that. Think about it.... Anyway, we did visit the Lincoln Museum gift shop (there are penny smashers there). This photo of DS was taken there - it is his "audition" to be on the penny next... hope he does something great so they'll consider him. I was afraid he & I might get kicked out of the gift shop because he got me laughing about the "writing instruments" that they sell there (it was a pack of pencils). DH just walked away & I have no doubt he wouldn't have claimed to know us if we had gotten kicked out.
Thank you to the wonderful lady in our tour group who took this photo of all of us!
**************************
On a non-touristy note.....our HS boys' basketball team was recognized on tonight's ABC World News Tonight's "People of the Week" - along with the team they played 2 weeks ago. DS said the high school has been a media circus this week but I'm glad to see it for something good!
http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=6926639
***************************
Snow is on its way this weekend - hope you all have a great weekend!
HUGS!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like some exciting things going on for your family. Happy Birthday to your daughter! and it's always exciting to be recognized for great things on television! Now that my camera is somewhat working I hope to play Tourist in my town soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you do New Salem, too? That's an AWESOME summer trip. You can easily spend most of a day there & the docents are dressed up in period attire & very friendly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:23 AM

    I agree that New Salem would be a fun place to visit. Haven't been there in ages but I doubt that it's changed very much.

    Loved the link. DeKalb Barbs are truly sportsmen!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!
I love to hear from you.