Friday, October 03, 2014

40 in 14 - #23 ("Day of Fame")

I completed an item on my 40 in 14 list, way back in January.

#23 - Try to be a movie/TV extra

At the time I did it, we were asked to please not post anything on social media (due to fear of someone posting a possible spoiler). So I didn't, and hence - it was tucked WAY back in my files so I never posted about my day being an extra for the TV show, Chicago Fire (and if you have read my blog for any amount of time - you know I like my Tuesday nights!).  My blogging friend, Wendy, [check out her blog!] asked me about this a few weeks ago, so here is my self-declared "day of fame".

(FYI - it was Season 2, Episode 14 - "Virgin Skin") - see trailer below:


I had been trying to get an extra part on the show for quite a while (thanks to the Chicago Fire Extras Facebook page - check it out if you are looking for something like this).  The casting company called me Wednesday at 3:30 in the afternoon and asked if I was available the next day. I almost fell out of my chair. I quickly called my boss, asked if I could have the next day off; got his blessing then called them back.

They gave me the wardrobe specifications and when to call to get the final details for the following day. I had to work my second job that evening, so after job #2 was done that evening, I went home - picked my wardrobe choices and packed a garment bag. I threw a book in too, called to get the details and got some sleep.

The next morning was an EARLY one - up to get ready; fight Chicagoland traffic and head to location. I got to the location really early but that was ok - I watched all the trailers being brought in and set up. I read my book a little and just relaxed.

One of the assistants came through the parking lot to "collect" the extras and they shuttled us off to a holding room. I gave another assistant my information and had a seat to wait. It was one of those "hurry up and wait" kind of days. We watched the snow fall outside (yes, it was a snowy winter in Chicagoland) as we got to know each other and sipped coffee.

I met some fantastic people and had some pretty entertaining conversations with several of my fellow extras. (A few of them had been "regular" extras in a few shows shot in the area at that time) All of the staff that we had contact with was fantastic - very friendly and entertaining. The wardrobe gal came around to check what we had on and what we had brought.

We had "breakfast" about noon - standing outside in the freezing cold. The food was fantastic and if you left that area hungry - too bad!

Anyway - I was picked to be in the first scene they were shooting. So onto the shuttle van we hopped and off they took us and shuffled us off to a very small holding room. We were given this warning - "do not talk to the actors, they have to stay in character". Um, ok. They slowly picked a few of us (there were probably 15 of us) at a time to start filling in the background of the scene.

My job in the scene (where Shay and the fill in paramedic save a man's life in an office), to walk back and forth on cue in the hallway. I wasn't in frame when it aired, but hey...what are you going to do?! We were at that location for almost three hours. They shuttled us back to the big holding area, where the rest of the day's extras had changed from their office attire wardrobe to their factory worker wardrobe. They had us change then sent the ones who hadn't been in the first scene to start "marking" the next scene.

One of the production assistants (PA) came in and said for us to plan on being there until about 2 a.m. (Insert my 'oh crap' face here) I texted the Mr. and let him know. He texted back that with the snow and time, he booked me a hotel room down the road. Bless his heart! I would just get my butt up early the next morning and head right to work from there.

We sat and watched TV and visited. They fed us an amazing dinner about 5:30 - pasta, fish, steak. Kraft services has some amazing cooks! Some of "the" actors were all eating when we went through the line and most of them were cordial to us. I would eat there ANYTIME! We (the extras) ate together and shared our stories from the day, so far.

The extras involved in the scene being shot had to eat quick and hurry downstairs (that's the warehouse scene in the trailer above). About 7:00, the same PA came in looked at the about 10 of us sitting around and said "How would you all like to be wrapped for the day?" Seriously? Sounds good to us! So we were dismissed. As one of the other ladies (who writes for CMT's website) and I were leaving, in walked Jesse Spencer (Matt Casey on the show).

He gave a quick nod and hello. We both returned his hello - then proceeded out the door and giggled like a couple of junior high girls in the hall when the "cute boy" walks by. (Ok - not my most mature moment...)
 
They shuttled us back to our snowy cars and my "day of fame" was over.
I drove to the hotel, cancelled my reservation and was home by about 9:00.
 
A couple of my observations:
*I was surprised how "short" most of the actors are. (Most were about my height)
*A lot of the production staff is "doing their time" hoping to move up to higher positions and "bigger" things
*There is A LOT of waiting and down time in TV production
*I am glad to say I did it but don't know how anxious I would be to do it again... OK - who am I kidding? I would do it again!
 
 
Have you been an extra in a movie or TV show?  What was it?  Should I be looking for you?


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome experience!! I wasn't an extra ... but I was a Roadie for U2 for their Rattle & Hum tour ... got to travel the world with them on tour :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about this the other day and wondering what it was like for you! Thanks for sharing your experience! I'd be way too shy to even go, kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! Although...the food sounds like it would have been my favorite part ;)
    Thanks for the shout-out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:39 PM

    I was in the audience at an Oprah Show featuring Caroline Kennedy. That was pretty exciting and even got a glimpse of myself on a rerun of the show. : 0
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome for you!! I know you've been wanting this for a long time...another bucket list item checked off! I've often wondered if I should go downtown here in Cleveland when they call for extras for Spiderman etc. Congrats for finally getting the call and having the chance for that amazing experience :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!
I love to hear from you.