Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Country thoughts

Hey all!  Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. I've been a little under the weather...thank you to my co-workers who keep coming to work sick...  I am feeling better today.

I'm feeling some rambling thought rolling around in my head, you've been warned before younread this....

As the leaves are changing and harvest is in full swing in our area now, I reflect on my former "country days". When I was a kid living on the farm, I hated it! I felt all my friends were MILES away - in reality, we only lived a couple of miles from town and half of my friends lived on farms within a few miles of ours. Who didn't grow up in a small community that didn't go to a road party now and then? (Mom, you hear/read nothing....) Anyway.... I long to live on a farm - or at least in the country - again. I am glad I work indirectly in the ag industry (our company lends money to farmers). I have learned a lot about the business side of farming working on this side of the industry. It has been eye opening for me the last five years. I hope that my ag education doesn't stop anytime soon.

On the subject of small communities, I grew up near a town of about 700 people, my graduating class was 24 students.  We all knew everyone in the whole school and had a pretty good idea what everyone was up to.  As a parent and looking back at that, it's not bad that everyone's parents knew where you were, who you were with and what you were up to.

For those of you who would like to read a little more about country life, check out these blogs (these bloggers are GREAT!)

Prairie Princess
Dixie Creek Farm

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

11 comments:

  1. Funny how life can bring us full circle with our beliefs and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't mind some quiet country living every once in a while. Don't know if I could live in the country permanently though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are feeling better, and am off to check out the farm life blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:56 AM

    Farm life is nice but there are good things to be said about living in town/city. (Winter in a drafty old farmhouse with a long lane can be snarky.) Your rural roots run deep and occasionally, I find myself wishing for that country life. Road parties? LOL

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been a city girl, but I can imagine the strong pull you must feel to get back to the country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like living in a small town. It has the countryside all around, but the convenience of local shops and living close to friends. Perfect for me! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:08 PM

    I'm so sorry you've been sick!! It is annoying how people go to work or send their kids to school when they are sick - it only makes everything worse! I hope you feel better soon!

    Thanks so much for the shout-out!! Prairie Princess is one of my favorite farming blogs, too! I haven't been able to talk much about life on the farm here lately what with all the India posts, but I'm hoping to get back to it next week! :o)

    I really hope you get the opportunity to live out in the country again, too. The city has it's advantages, but there is NOTHING like living out away from everything. I definitely feel more at peace out here than I ever do when I'm in town.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We were almost transferred to a small town in Kentucky but it fell through. I have to say I was kind of looking forward to it! :)
    Maybe some day we will give it a try :)

    Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jen! I can say that living in the country is GREAT. Yes there are some drawbacks, but I wouldn't change it for anything. And believe me, people like you that work at banks who give ag loans are a HUGE part of farming-we couldn't do it without you!

    I'm glad you enjoy reading my blog so much, and am happy to hear you're feeling better :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jen! I love the country life, and definitely wouldn't change it! There are drawbacks, but there are also some great things about it too. And thank you to people at banks who give ag loans-we couldn't do it without you!

    Hope you have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't grow up on a farm, but I dod grow up in a very small town- population 1500, graduating class 42. I couldn't WAIT to move away when I was younger, but looking back at it, it was a wonderful childhood. I would love to move to a small town again, but, well, jobs and all... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!
I love to hear from you.