Tuesday, October 22, 2013

8 Months Ago....

I never would have guessed that my annual routine doctor appointment would lead me becoming a cardiac patient - and at the age of 38!!!!!  WHAT?!

In hindsight, I am grateful that the problem was found and that I have a FANTASTIC cardiologist. But it was a scary couple of months while going through all the doctor visits and tests and blood draws and pamphlets and brochures, while keeping it as quiet as I could until we had firm answers.

For those of you who don't know, I was diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat in February of this year. This lead to cardiac monitors, echocardiograms, blood draws, lots of driving to appointments. I was diagnosed with an ASD (atrial septal defect) - commonly known as a hole in the heart. It is believed it is something I was born with and was just found then.

I had surgery in May to repair and close this. I think being wheeled into the O.R. was probably the scariest part of that day (you know, letting go of my husband's hand and thinking terrible things might happen...). Oh and having to lay perfectly flat and  still for 12 hours afterward was not much fun either, BUT - it was successful. It was a slow couple of months after that. I can't even begin to tell you how much better I am feeling now - my energy is higher than it's probably ever been. I had to be on some nasty medicine for about 3 months that really messed with my stomach too, but that is gone.  I am down to an aspirin a day and I can see the bottom of the pill bottle - the end is VERY near!! (insert my crazy happy dance here)

I have 2 more cardiology appointments before the end of this year, then it will be an annual check up for the rest of my life. I no longer have any activity restrictions and am working hard to get myself back into shape. (There are some races I want to run next year)

I am officially a cardiac patient for life!
(and I'm ok with that...)
 


I have started to take a different outlook on life. My problem was fixable and I feel fortunate that it was! (Believe me, I KNOW there are a lot of people in a lot worse shape!!!!) However, I know it could have been different. There are a lot of things on my bucket list that I want to do before my time does come...  40 comes knocking next year (and that's NOT old!!! - it's just need to start work on having fun and enjoying life more) and I plan to accomplish some of those things.  Stay tuned, I hope to have some of those "adventures" next year.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you've had to deal with such scary health issues this year. I'm glad it was something fixable, but that doesn't make it any less frightening. I hope you are completely done with heart issues and you can get back to living like a regular person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are getting/gotten answers and that the doctors are helping you!! I know what you mean about the scary OR ... Brookie has had 17 surgeries and my heart drops every time she is wheeled back ... it never is easy my friend ... just grateful you have doctors that care enough to take care of you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Cute blog design change! I like it! 2. I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but so happy they "fixed" it! I too have arrhythmia, but no surgeries for me, the beta-blockers work fine! Good luck with this, but I'm sure you're on the up-swing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!
I love to hear from you.