Friday, April 28, 2017

In Memorium-Cedar Covered Bridge

I don't post much about this here, so here I confess (one more fun fact about me)...
I love covered bridges!

We discovered them on our honeymoon to Indiana. They are a wonderful piece of history and nostalgia. We try to find out if there are any near where we may be traveling to. My collection of covered bridges keeps growing, and we have seen them in several states.

With that being said, I read that sadly the Cedar Covered Bridge in Madison County, Iowa (near Winterset) was burned by arsonists a couple of weeks ago, arrests have been made in this case. This saddens me that people have that little respect for a piece of nostalgia (or any other kind of property).

We had the pleasure of visiting the Bridges of Madison County in April, 2009. (By the way, that is a beautiful Iowa day trip) We saw (the second) Cedar Covered Bridge. Cedar was originally built in 1883, and moved to its present location in 1921. Arsonists burned the original Cedar in 2002, which was rebuilt and rededicated in 2004.




I will try to share more covered bridges we have visited as time goes on.
Have you visited any bridges? Where?




3 comments:

  1. Covered bridges are amazing! There are quite a few in Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I too am fond of covered bridges and I have a few photos. That's sad that someone would ruin a piece of history like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love covered bridges too....we have a few in GA, two are relatively close by...they are about to do much needed renovations on one of them, which happens to be on a very busy road. I am glad they are preserving it instead of tearing it down.

    That is sad about the arsonist ... Just no respect for history or property.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!
I love to hear from you.