Thursday, April 28, 2016

Thursday 13

I'm linking up again this week with Thursday 13. Please go check it out and visit some of those great blogs!

You may have heard, the National Park Service is celebrating its Centennial this year. Happy 100th Birthday, NPS!

So, in honor of this, my list this week is, 13 National Parks or National Historic Sites we have visited. (in no particular order - I will add the link to the specific park/site too)


It is beautiful, desert country. We learned a lot of about this tribe's lifestyle.
 
 

See President Hoover's birthplace, museum, library and burial place.
 

 

3. Valor in the Pacific Monument, Hawaii (USS Arizona/Pearl Harbor)
What a somber but beautiful site.
 

4. Harry Truman NHS, Missouri
We visited the home he and Mrs. Truman lived in; the Truman Farm and the Presidential Library.
 
 

An important stop to learn about Civil Rights


Another Civil Right stop - the story of the Little Rock 9.
Please note: You can not enter the school but you are welcome on the grounds as long as you don't disturb classes and in the little park across the street.


7. Gulf Islands National Seashore, Mississippi and Florida
There are lots of waterfront walking paths and sealife.


This pretty gem of a park is in northern Ohio - there is a nice train ride and LOTS of bike paths!



9. Mammoth Cave NP, Kentucky
Wonderful cave tours and a fascinating look underground


10. Great Smoky Mountains NP, Tennessee
Pretty mountains and scenery
 

A quick historic stop.


12. Effigy Mounds, Iowa
A pretty walking park along the Mississippi River




Housed in the former home of President and Mrs. McKinley, this is a very interesting site to visit for a little First Lady and McKinley history.


Have a wonderful Thursday!

6 comments:

  1. I have been to the Smokies. I live very near the George Washington & Jefferson National Forests, which are not parks, of course, but still federal lands. I think preservation of these treasures is very important. Future generations need to see these things - and not just on youtube!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, you are way ahead of me. I have been to Badlands Nat'l Park and through a small corner of Wind Cave Nat'l Park. Have also been to Gettysburg a couple times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Haven't been to any of them. Well now I have a new list. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved seeing those Presidential (and First Lady) spots. Been to the Truman sites myself many years ago. Places like this make history come alive for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What incredible places to visit. I have never visited the midwest U. S. I have been to Arkansas, Mississippi, and Florida, which were some of your travels. I would love to see where Brown v Board of Education happened.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!
I love to hear from you.