Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Tales from the library & last weekend

I haven't covered "Tales from the Library" segments in quite a while. For those who don't know, I work part-time at our local library. Those who think a library is quiet - really should hang out there for extended periods of time. NOT the case!

2 little stories for you:

*We have an organization in our community that provides housing/living assistance for adults with disabilities of all kinds. They visit the library in small groups throughout the week. They're neat people and are usually very quiet. I had the chance to wait on a few of them a couple of weeks ago. One of the ladies brought a CD up to check out and said, "I love her. She's so good!" I agreed. She immediately burst into one of her songs. It wasn't a good rendition and there weren't many people around, so I just let her go. She sang a full chorus. It totally warmed my heart how uninhibited she was and didn't care who thought what.
*Monday evening I was working in the youth department. A junior high aged girl was working on the computer next to her mom.
A young man about her age walked up (I think he thought he had some "moves"...ah - not so much), leaned on the table next to where she was working and says "Hey there girl."
My co-worker and I looked up and saw this all happening. Her mom looked over and quickly covered her smirk.
The girl looked at him and said "Hi," quickly and went back to her work. Then he says "Whatcha workin' on?"
She looked up at him annoyed and said "School stuff."
He looks at her and seriously (I'm not making this up...) gave her a wink, the fake gun point and says, "I hope to see you here again."
Oh man...
**********************************************
Last weekend was a pretty good one.
Friday night, I with my DD to meet Sue Grafton (one of my favorite authors), who writes the alphabet mystery series. She's a very nice lady! She spent time talking to DD and told her about her granddaughters.
Saturday, I worked at the library. The "highlight" of my Saturday? I got.....
A NEW WASHING MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For those who have been married for ten years or longer, I think you will understand - this is exciting. (PS: I think every 10 years, you should get to have a "shower" where you get new towels, sheets, etc...anyone else agree?) So, anyway - I have a new shiny washing machine that doesn't make weird noises.
Sunday, I made chili, bread and brownies while we watched the Bears win. (Ok, the Mr. and DS watched the game - I napped)  I got the bathrooms cleaned and laundry done (in my new washer).

This coming weekend, NO work for me! YEA!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure what I'll do, but I'm sure I'll find something to do.

7 comments:

  1. What that boy did with the 'guns' is HILARIOUS!!!!!! And YAY for new machines!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:52 AM

    Pretty sure there will be a new washer in my future also!

    Your library stories are hilarious! Absolutely hilarious!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing says true love like a new appliance. My dh rocks those presents. Love the library stories. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! That boy had some nerve! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. My washing machine is in its decline for sure. Happy new washing machine to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can so relate.
    I got a new oven on Christmas Eve and was so happy about it! :)

    I love all of our libraries. And I have to say that I love that the one closest to us doesn't usually shush the children. It can get pretty noisy in there on Wednesdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Is it now in a Library employee's job description to guard young girls against creepy old men who still use the finger gun?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!
I love to hear from you.