Monday, January 20, 2014

Book review 2014 #1


Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
Genre: romance
4 out of 5 stars

Publisher's synopsis:  When a mysterious young woman named Katie appears in the small North Carolina town of Southport, her sudden arrival raises questions about her past. Beautiful yet self-effacing, Katie seems determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events draws her into two reluctant relationships: one with Alex, a widowed store owner with a kind heart and two young children; and another with her plainspoken single neighbor, Jo. Despite her reservations, Katie slowly begins to let down her guard, putting down roots in the close-knit community and becoming increasingly attached to Alex and his family. 


But even as Katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts and terrifies her . . . a past that set her on a fearful, shattering journey across the country, to the sheltered oasis of Southport. With Jo's empathic and stubborn support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of transient safety and one of riskier rewards . . . and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven.


My thoughts: I listened to the audio book of this. I enjoyed the characters and the storyline was good. I loved the twist at the end! 

I can't wait to see the movie....

What are you reading?

7 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVED this book!!!! The movie ... not so much! LOL!! It didn't follow the story all the way, and that irritated me! HA!! I loved the twist too!!! Very unique for Nicholas Sparks!!! And I am reading "Somebody's Dad" by Judith Arnold ... it's so far ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:12 AM

    I read this book last fall and loved it! The twist at the end was great. Right now I'm reading a two book series by Barbara Freethy. The first one, Silent Run, had a lot of twists and turns. I really liked it. I just started the second on, Silent Fall, and it moves pretty quickly also.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm I've been reading a couple of quick hit romantic whodunits. This guy can be such an emotional read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the book but I did see the movie and thought it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to give audio books a shot.

    Liked this book a lot- it was definitely a typical Nicholas Sparks read but in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i admit--i was given this book and never read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never read the book, but LOVED the movie. I don't know why, but I like Julianna Hough. More her hair then anything (: Might have to go read the book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!
I love to hear from you.